HOME OF THE ALBION
A History of Beer Albion Football Club
Beer Albion football club was formed on October 17th 1919 in the RAOB room at the rear of the Dolphin Hotel. The majority of the players that formed the club served on HMS Albion during the war, hence the word Albion being adopted.
Initially games were friendlies and cup matches against local teams. In 1921 the club joined the recently formed Perry Street Junior and minor league. Both Beer teams remained in this league until 1952.
During the early years the home pitch was situated at White Cliff adjacent to New road and Beer Hill, as the name suggests it was very close to the cliff edge. In 1934 the club acquired the site in Stovar Long Lane. Clinton Estates agreed an annual rent of £5 initially. The field was covered in bracken, and gorse bushes, these were gradually removed and 18 months later the pitch was good enough for games to take place and the Furzebrake was our new home. A small wooden hut was provided for the changing rooms.
In 1947 a small grandstand was erected and paid for by the then vice chairman Derek Good. This remained in place until a larger and safer grandstand was built in 1996 by Mike Anning and Andy Cobbold, again helped by the players and committee.
In the early 1950 the club joined the Devon & Exeter league, entering two teams. In 1977/78 a new club house was built by the players and committee with Basil Lang and player Norman Rooke in charge of construction. In 1987/88 the clubhouse was doubled in size to accommodate a committee room and small bar.
In recent years the bar has developed and a patio area outside the clubhouse has been laid. A childrens play park has been developed, and more recently updated.