top of page
  • Writer's picturepaul88798

Topsham Town 1st’s 4-2 Beer Albion 1st’s

Despite being 2-0 ahead within the first 10 minutes, Beer Albion 1st’s unbeaten Devon Football League run came to an end on Saturday when they went down 4-2 away to a strong Topsham Town 1st’s writes Richard Honnor.

After just two minutes Beer were 1-0 ahead. Josh French beat the offside trap with a well-timed run from midfield, drew the Topsham keeper off his line and squared the ball to Taylor Rooke who slotted home from 8 yards.

Six minutes later the Fishermen increased their lead after the Topsham keeper came a long way off his line to catch a long pass but was was penalised and yellow-carded for handball as the momentum took him out of the penalty box. Tony Pinder beat the defensive wall with a well-placed free kick which the keeper saved well but Taylor Rooke was on hand to slot home his second goal of the afternoon.

All looked good for Beer at this stage but Topsham, strengthened by the inclusion of three regular Sidmouth Town and Crediton players, had other ideas and unsettled the Fishermen with some robust tackling resulting in 3 further bookings for the home side within the first 20 minutes of the game.

Loose marking enabled Topsham to reduce the arrears. A free kick was awarded just outside the box and Topsham’s centre back powered a header into the 6 yard box which was forced home past keeper Eliot Driver. The equaliser came on 23 minutes when Driver could only palm a tricky inswinging corner into his own net.

The game remain evenly-balanced up until half time but Topsham created the better chances and Driver made two excellent saves at close range to keep his side in contention.

After the break, Beer started strongly and after a good interchange between French and Giles Basson, Jacob Rowe went past two defenders and fired inches wide from an acute angle.

Whereas Beer were trying to forge their way through a crowded midfield, Topsham were exploiting the width of the pitch down both flanks and consequently created clearer cut chances. After Charley Ledger had made a great defensive block to prevent a certain goal, Topsham went 3-2 ahead on 61 minutes after a quick counter. Driver again did well to block a fierce shot from 12 yards from but momentum carried the ball over the goal line.

Beer responded immediately and Rowe was very unlucky when his goalbound volley from 12 yards was deflected behind for a corner.

As Beer pushed forward in search of the equaliser, Topsham again punished Beer with swift counter on 77 minutes to wrap up the 4-2 win.

Although it was a disappointing result, defender Brooklyn Wilkins had a fine game and Elliot Driver made some good saves.

Despite the set-back, the Fishermen are still 11 points clear at the top of the table although 2nd placed North Molton with three games in hand could still pip the Fishermen at the post. So there is no room for complacency and Mark Rooke’s team will be going all out to win a very tough penultimate league fixture away at Thorverton next Saturday.

26 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page