top of page
  • Writer's picturepaul88798

Feniton 1st’s 1-2 Beer Albion 1st’s

Beer Albion 1st’s maintained their 100% unbeaten record this season defeating local rivals Feniton 2-1 in a fractious contest at Acland Park on Saturday writes Richard Honnor.

The Fishermen looked as though they were heading for their first defeat this season as Feniton clung on to a 1-0 lead until the closing stages. But Beer scored an 83rd minute equaliser through Cody Bowditch and substitute George Harwood notched the dramatic winner deep into added-on time.

Matches between the Fishermen and Fenny often have an unpleasant edge to them and this contest was no exception. The flow of the game was disrupted by stoppages caused by off-the-ball incidents and players surrounding the referee. More decisive action early in the game in the form of bookings and sin-binnings might have persuaded both sides to get on with the football.

It was 30 minutes before Beer started to string a few passes together with Charley Skilton prominent in some strong runs down the right flank and Alex Paget and Tony Pinder both missing the target with a couple of half-chances.

But, against the run of play, Fenny took the lead 5 minutes after the restart. Beer failed to deal with a free kick from the right which skimmed across the goal and a Fenny player headed home on the first bounce from close range.

From thereon, Beer dominated possession but Feniton put up a determined rearguard action to hold the visitors at bay. The home keeper came to his side’s rescue on several occasions with some fine saves.

The Fishermen’s chances of getting something out of the game took a blow on 62 minutes when Fenny’s keeper brilliantly saved Tony Pinder’s spot-kick after Bowditch’s driving run was curtailed by a foul in the

Although well below their best the Fishermen continued to drive forward. Midfielder Jake Rowe was introduced to give the Fishermen more of an attacking edge but despite Rowe’s flair the equaliser remained elusive.

Manager Mark Rooke brought on wing back George Harwood on 72 minutes and he immediately began to test Feniton with some deep crosses into the box.

But Fenny continued to weather the storm and could have sealed the win with a late counter-attack but Bowditch saved the day with an important interception.

With the minutes ticking away, Beer finally broke down the tiring Fenny defence. Man-of-the-match Bowditch, cutting in from the right, scored with a fine 18-yard strike giving the keeper no chance.

Not content with the draw, Beer continued to push forward and they snatched the 98th minute winner when space opened up for Harwood in a crowded penalty area and the Beer wing back took his chance from close range to keep his side at the top of the Devon League table.

Next Saturday, Beer 1st’s entertain Fremington in a league match at the Furzebrake. Kick off is at 2:15pm and the match day sponsor is MGR Roofing.

Devon and Exeter League Division 1

Beer Albion 2nds 2-2 Teignmouth 2nds

After two consecutive defeats, Beer Albion 2nd’s stopped the rot with a creditable 2-2 draw at home to Teignmouth 2nd’s. Despite tricky windy conditions, both sides served up some fine football in an evenly contested game.

Teignmouth took the lead deep into the first half but Chris Long equalised just before the break with a stunning free kick.

With 20 minutes to go, Teignmouth regained the lead after a defensive mix-up. But the Fishermen levelled at 2-2 on 80 minutes with a goal from the impressive Reece Best who finished off a fine move involving Harry Lawrence and Barnaby Down.

In form, Jack Prior got sponsor John Wheeler Ltd’s vote as man-of-the-match.

Next weekend, Beer 2nd’s have a league game away at Newton St Cyres.

19 views0 comments


Couldn’t Load Comments
It looks like there was a technical problem. Try reconnecting or refreshing the page.
bottom of page