top of page
  • Writer's picturepaul88798

Elmore 2nd's 3 - 1 Beer Albion 1st's

After finishing 2021 on a high, the New Year has so far proved fruitless for Beer Albion with both sides being defeated two weeks running writes Richard Honnor. The Fishermen’s 1st team were dumped out of the East Devon Senior Cup losing 3-1 away at Elmore 2nd’s whilst the Reserves were knocked off top spot in Devon and Exeter Division 2 going down 2-1 at home to mid-table Otterton.

For the second week in a row, Albion 1sts conceded early goals, going 2-0 down after just 8 minutes. Elmore went 1-0 ahead on 4 minutes as Beer stood off and allowed Elmore’s Burridge to run at their defence unchallenged and score with a deflected shot. Four minutes later, the Eagles were 2-up when the unmarked Old, in acres of space, headed home after the Fishermen failed to properly clear a corner.

Beer reduced the arrears on 20 minute with a fine goal from Kieron Daniels. After racing clear, Daniels cleverly slid the ball past the keeper into the net.

However, any chance for the Fishermen to get back in the game was thrown away when they conceded a needless penalty in the 24th minute emphatically converted by Old to put Elmore 3-1 ahead. Beer suffered a blow when Taylor Rooke had to go off with a thigh injury but the introduction of substitute Jack Harwood, who has been in fine form for the 2nd team, immediately tightened up the defence.

After the break Beer showed much more determination but failed to test the Elmore keeper and the the Eagles were able to hold on for a comfortable victory.

To cap a disappointing performance the Fisherman’s injury woes increased with Josh French and George Harwood having to leave the field early.

Beer Manager Mark Rooke was very disappointed with his side’s performance but one real positive was Jack Harwood’s fine display.

Beer Albion 2nd’s performance was equally dismal going down 2-1 at home to mid-table Otterton. The visitors scored a 90th minute winner to knock the Fishermen off top spot in Division 2 of the Devon and Exeter League.

Unusually, the Fishermen were outgunned in midfield by a physically stronger Otterton and they were able to produce very little in the way of constructive football. Up front, Beer’s strikers Reece Best and Tom Perry got very little change out of Otterton’s solid defence in which sweeper Stuart Tuckett was outstanding.

After going close on several occasions, Otterton took the lead on 20 minutes when Ryan Wright ran on to a through ball and coolly slotted home past keeper Hill. Beer equalised on the stroke of half time when Tom Perry intercepted an attempted clearance from the Otterton keeper and put the ball into an empty net.

Were it not for their resolute back line some good saves from keeper Martin Hill, the Fishermen would have out of this contest well before the end. But just as Beer thought they had secured an unlikely point, Otterton’s Lee Mitchell fired home the last minute winner.

Overall Man-of-the-match was awarded by sponsor Indulge in Beer to Otterton’s Ryan Wright whilst,for Beer, goal scorer Tom Perry was adjudged their best player.

Next Saturday, Beer 1st’s are at back in league action at home and have the chance to set things straight when they meet Elmore 2nd’s again. Kick off is at 2:15 pm at the match sponsors are Peter Adkin and Richard Honnor.

Meanwhile Beer 2nd’s will be hoping for their first win in 2022 when they visit bottom side Clyst Valley 2nd’s in a Division 2 match.

30 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page