top of page
  • Writer's picturepaul88798

Beer Res 3 Newton SC 2

Beer went into this game knowing a bit about Newton SC from last season as they were promoted with us by finishing in 4th spot. We set up with a game plan of stopping them playing football from the back as they did last season.

After 5 mins it was obvious that the away team weren’t playing from the back much and both full backs weren’t happy receiving the ball deep to set the play up, this resulted in the game being quite direct and both teams scrapping for first and 2nd balls.

Beers Keeper Shaun wasn’t troubled much early on and neither was the opposition keeper, Beer played slightly too long in the first 20 mins and played into the opposition's hands. There were a couple of chances when Simon Smith pulled his shot from 10 yards out and Reece Best had a brilliant header bounce off the bar, it looked in all the way from the touchline but frustratingly it hit the bar.

On 38 mins Beer conceded another poor goal, it was the only time in the first half that the team didn’t get tight and after an exchange of passes, the opposing player turned and finished well into the bottom corner.

It was the 2nd week running we’d gone in at half-time 1-0 the Beer team had worked their socks off and didn't deserve to go in at half-time one down. Beer captain Fraser Beaumont had to be withdrawn through injury so Kieran love came on to replace him.

10 mins into the 2nd half Beer decided to add some fresh legs, Josh French and Kyle Gould were introduced. After 65 mins Beer got on level terms when George Harwood found Frenchy who made another one of his clever runs into the box and flicked the ball with the outside of his right foot and the keeper could only Palm it across the goal to Kyle who came steaming into slot home.

Beer made two more subs, bringing on Taylor Rooke and Josh Lund.

After 80 mins the home side somehow went behind again when they failed to clear their lines and conceded a free kick on the edge of the box.

The Newton SC number 8 stepped up and curled it into the corner of the goal, a great strike but a needless free kick to give away.On 86 minutes Beer were awarded a penalty when the Newton SC player handled the ball on the line as it was going in and was sent off.

Taylor Rooke stepped up and yet again slotted the ball home under pressure.

The home side managed to get the winner when another superb delivery from a set piece by George Harwood was headed home by MOM Ashley Driver.

19 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page