top of page
  • Writer's picturepaul88798

Beer Albion 2nds 3-3 Bow AAC

Newly promoted Beer Albion Reserves started the 2022/3 season at the Furzebrake with a thrilling 3-3 draw against Bow AAC in Devon and Exeter Division 1 in front of 110 spectators.

But for an excellent goalkeeping display by Bow’s Jeremy Santamaria and several spurned chances the Fishermen would have been “out of sight” in the first 45 minutes. They dominated the possession and Taylor Rooke in particular gave the visitors’ defence a torrid time with his all-round game. The Beer centre forward was desperately unlucky with 2 attempts which both shaved the upright after strong runs took him clear. But despite their fine first half display the goals would not come for Beer and, against the run of play, Bow took the lead from a close range volley on the stroke of half time after the Fishermen’s defence failed to clear a right wing corner.

The Fishermen responded immediately after the break when Simon Smith equalised on 48 minutes. Keeper Fernandez could only keep out Rooke’s swerving 25-yard free kick with his feet and Smith, following in, converted from 3 yards.

The game then became somewhat scrappy and despite manager Jamie Bond’s attempts to liven up proceedings with some attack-minded substitutions, Beer could not get their passing game going.

Bow were enjoying their best spell of the game and the warning signs were there for Beer when an inswinging corner went narrowly wide far post on 62 minutes. Then on 70 minutes, the visitors were awarded a highly dubious penalty after a quick counter attack down the right caught the Beer defence napping. Keeper Denslow was adjudged to have brought down a Bow forward but there appeared to have been no contact. The penalty was perfectly despatched to put the visitors 2-1 up.

The introduction of Harry Lawrence and Jacob Clode for the last 15 minutes did at last inject some life into Beer’s flagging display and both Giles Basson and Clode went close with long range efforts.

The result appeared to be sealed when Bow took a 3-1 lead on 81 minutes but to their credit Beer kept driving forward. With 86 minutes gone, the Fishermen pulled the score back to 3-2 through a well-placed strike from Rooke.

Almost immediately Bow missed a great chance to put the result beyond doubt but their forward shot straight at Denslow with the goal at his mercy.

The Fishermen continued to press for an equaliser and it came dramatically on 96 minutes through a magnificent strike from Harry Lawrence. Lawrence received a pass in the inside left position and from 20 yards out he gave keeper Santamaria no chance with a sweet left-foot strike into the top corner.

There were some outstanding individual contributions on both sides. Bow Keeper Santamaria had a fine game and, for Beer, Ashley Driver showed great composure at the heart of the Beer defence. But match sponsor Hansford Funeral Services awarded man-of-the-match jointly to Bow midfielder J.Coles and Beer’s Taylor Rooke.

Next Saturday, Beer2nd’s are again at home in a league match against Newton St Cyres. Kick-off at the Furzebrake is at 3 pm and match sponsor is Marine House at Beer.

Beer 1st’s long-awaited debut in the Devon Football League NE will now be on Saturday 3rd September at home against Topsham Town.

32 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page