top of page
  • Writer's picturepaul88798

Beer Albion 2nd’s 3-0 Teignmouth 2nd’s

Beer Albion 2nd’s stretched their lead at the top of Devon and Exeter Division 2 to six points after beating third-placed Teignmouth 2nd’s 3-0 writes Richard Honnor. The Furzebrake crowd were treated to an excellent contest by two sides at the top of their game. The Fishermen needed to be at their best against strong opposition and they certainly delivered, producing their best performance of the season so far.

There was nothing to choose between the sides in the first half, both quickly making their attacking intentions clear. Beer’s defences were thoroughly tested down the left flank by the pace of the Teignmouth’s no. 7. The wide player was getting quality service from Teigmouth’s midfield who were slotting measured passes inside Beer’s defence, thus enabling the winger to get goal side and deliver dangerous crosses into the box.

But Beer’s central defensive pairing of Fraser Beaumont and Jack Harwood were in top form and annulled the threat with good positional play and timely interceptions both on the deck and in the air. Behind them, keeper Martin Hill dealt well with everything that came his way, particularly at set-pieces from Teignmouth’s aerial bombardment.

The Fishermen however always carried the more incisive threat going forward. Striker Tom Perry gave the Teignmouth defence a torrid time with his pace and skill on the ball and pressurising the defenders into errors when not in possession. Playing behind Perry, Harry Lawrence was also a threat when he ran at Teigns defence.

The first goal was always going to be key and it came on 21 minutes after Perry was brought down just outside the penalty area after another probing run. Simon Smith evaded the defensive wall with a sweetly struck free-kick from 22 yards, low into the left-hand corner.

Teignmouth responded strongly and only a desperate outstretched leg from Beaumont prevented a cross reaching Teignmouth’s forward players arriving in the penalty box.

Beer were working hard all across the park to keep their slender lead and Teignmouth got frustrated at their inability to break down their opponents. Their skipper was involved in a number of off-the-ball incidents, particularly testing the temperament of Beer’s young full-back, Sam Walker. But Walker kept his cool and concentrated on his own game.

Within 2 minutes of the restart, the Fishermen increased their lead. After a Teignmouth foul 25 yards out, Beaumont’s free kick into the danger zone was only partially cleared towards Lawrence whose looping header across the goal line was helped in by Teignmouth’s keeper who botched his attempt to palm the ball away.

Beer had now put the brakes on the threat down the left and produced a terrific 2nd half performance across the park. Veteran midfielder Alex Paget was particularly effective, breaking up the play, winning headers and setting up counter attacks.

The Fishermen’s third goal came on 77 minutes. Centre back Harwood made a driving run through midfield and found substitute Reece Hales who laid the ball into Lawrence’s path. The young forward unleashed a well-placed shot from 18 yards with his trusty left foot low into the right-hand corner.

It was a day when central defenders on both sides had outstanding matches. For Teignmouth Billy Benyon was their best player but sponsors Mike Graham and Mike Adkin awarded man of the match to Beer’s Fraser Beaumont.

On Sunday at the Furzebrake, Beer Albion 1st’s booked their passage to the 2nd round of the East Devon Senior Cup with a 3-0 home win against Exmouth Spartans. Spartans who play in the same Division as Beer 2nd’s (Div 2) put up a great performance and the Fishermen’s had to work hard for the win.

Beer’s first goal was a 25-yard screamer from Charlie Ledger, his first for the Club. Max Richardson scored the second after controlling a pass from Josh Lund and swivelling to slot home. Richardson himself laid on the third goal for Tony Pinder, a great cross finished by Pinder with a spectacular diving header.

Star player for Beer was Charley Ledger and Harry Lawrence showed plenty of quality at left wing-back. But overall man-if-the-match went to the Spartans keeper for a magnificent performance between the sticks.

Next week both sides are in league action. Beer 2nd’s travel to Tedburn St Mary, while Beer Albion 1st’s entertain Kentisbeare hoping to overturn the 1-0 defeat incurred at the start of the season. Kick-off at the Furzebrake is at 2:15pm and the match sponsor is Beer Coastguard Rescue Team.

17 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page