top of page
  • Writer's pictureBeer

Beer Albion 2nd’s 2-3 Teignmouth 2nd’s

After leading 2-0 at half time, Beer Albion 2nd’s suffered their first defeat of the season going down 3-2 at home to Teignmouth 2nd’s writes Richard Honnor.

In front of a Furzebrake crowd of 80, the Fishermen made the perfect start when Max Richardson opened the scoring on 5 minutes with a sweet strike into the top corner from 25 yards after a pin-point lay-off from Richard Walker.

Teignmouth responded positively, winning the midfield battles and stretching the Fishermen’s backline with some incisive attacking play. But the visitors were let down by poor finishing.

Teigns backline looked shaky however, particularly when Fishermen’s centre forward Richard Walker had the ball. On 15 minutes, his deft pass put Richardson through on goal but the lively forward was thwarted by a last-ditch tackle.

It was Walker again who created Beer’s 2nd goal when he turned the Teignmouth defence and crossed from the left. The visitors’ centre back made a hash of his clearance and Billy Long took advantage, coolly placing the ball into the bottom corner from 18 yards out.

Beer were now enjoying their best moments of the game and created good chances either side of half time. First, Harry Lawrence’s deft chip sailed narrowly off-target on 45 minutes and then Walker hit the post on 47 minutes after a fine run down the right channel by Richardson.

Richardson was again unlucky on 52 minutes when his first-time strike from 12 yards was pushed over the bar after Lawrence broke free down the left and crossed into the box.

Beer were in control at this stage but Teignmouth were gifted a soft penalty on 62 minutes when keeper Hill brought down their outstanding midfield player. There was minimal contact but the canny Teigns player made the most of it with a theatrical fall and he got up to fire home the penalty kick.

The visitors pressed hard for the equaliser but the Fishermen held firm and on 69 minutes they were somewhat unlucky not to increase their lead. Walker showed his true quality when he turned his marker 12 yards out only to see his curling shot hit the inside of the upright. Seconds later his powerful 8-yard volley struck the keeper on the line and flew over the bar when a goal seemed certain.

This proved to be the turning point as just 5 minutes later Teignmouth were on level terms at 2-2. A tiring Beer defence failed to prevent a mazy run by the substitute wide player who cut inside and finished clinically from 12 yards. Two minutes later, the Beer defence paid the ultimate price when keeper and center-back gave the ball away trying to play their way out of a tight defensive situation. The Teignmouth forward was presented with a simple chance to score and he made no mistake to snatch a 3-2 victory for the visitors.

Despite the disappointing outcome, there were some good performances on the Beer team. Forward players Max Richardson and Richard Walker were a constant threat and their link-up play was excellent. Walker was awarded “man-of-the-match” on behalf game sponsor, Woozie’s Deli.

Next Saturday Beer 1st’s are away at Whipton and Pinhoe in Premier Division East. They will be hoping to complete the double over the Exeter side after beating them 4-1 at home earlier this season.

Meanwhile, Beer 2nd’s will want to get back to winning ways when they entertain Lyme Regis 2nd’s at the Furzebrake. Kick-off is at 2:15 and the match sponsor is Fred Hansford Ltd.

23 views0 comments


bottom of page