top of page
  • Writer's picturepaul88798

Beer Albion 1st’s 2-2 Feniton 1st’s

Beer Albion’s bid for the DFL NE Division championship stuttered a little on Saturday when they were held to a 2-2 draw by Feniton 1st’s at the Furzebrake writes Richard Honnor. It took two well-executed penalties from midfielder Finley Rooke to preserve the Fishermen’s unbeaten league record.

There was little to choose between the two sides on the day and Feniton’s gutsy performance belied their lowly league position. In a congested midfield, there was minimal room for either side to stamp their authority on the game, nor was there much opportunity for free flowing football.

Despite creating a good opportunity on 6 minutes when George Richards’ effort was thwarted by good defending at the far post, Beer went 1-0 behind to a fine goal on 9 minutes. Facing his own goal on the edge of the Beer penalty area, Feniton’s no. 9 Tarim Gasmi received a pass into feet and turned in a tight space to fire a perfectly placed shot from the into the corner.

After this early blow, Beer were uncharacteristically lethargic until the half-hour mark after which they started to show more urgency going forward. They went close on 30 minutes when Cody Bowditch drove an excellent low cross into the box which just needed a touch at the far post.

Just 5 minutes later, the Fishermen equalised from the penalty spot. Finley Rooke delivered a defence-splitting pass to Brooklyn Wilkins who beat the Fenny keeper to the ball but was caught by a trailing leg. Rooke blasted the the spot-kick home.

The Fishermen were now into their stride and were unlucky not to go ahead on 41 minutes when French’s fierce strike from 15 yards smashed against the upright after a sweet move involving Jake Rowe and Tony Pinder created the opportunity.

But on the stroke of half-time, Beer conceded a soft penalty when Fenny’s midfielder was clipped inside the box. The resulting spot-kick was put away by Liam Dingle to give the visitors a 2-1 advantage going into the break.

The Fishermen started the second half on the front foot and were at last playing some good possession football. They got their reward on 55 minutes when Fenny conceded their second penalty of the game. Josh French was fouled in the box and Finley Rooke stayed calm to convert his second spot kick to bring his side level.

Thereafter, frustration, grew, particularly on both benches, as neither side could get the upper hand.

As the game went into the final quarter, Fenny were content to play out time to secure the draw. This encouraged Beer to push forward and both Finley Rooke and Charley Skilton drew fine saves from Fenny’s young keeper with a couple of long-range efforts.

Best players on the day nominated by sponsor P R Driver Gates and Railings were Feniton’s striker Tariq Gasmi and Beer midfielder Finley Rooke.

The upcoming two matches for Beer may well decide the outcome of this season’s league championship. The first big test comes next Saturday when the Fishermen are away to 2nd placed North Molton. This is followed on Easter Monday by an equally difficult trip to third-placed Appeldore.

The next home game at the Furzebrake is on Easter Monday when Beer 2nd’s entertain Newtown 2nd’s. Kick-off is at 3pm and the match sponsors are Kenworthy and Arbourne Builders.

11 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page