top of page
  • Writer's picturepaul88798

Beer Albion 1st’s 1-0 Elmore 2nd’s

In front of a Furzebrake crowd of 80, Beer Albion 1st’s got back to winning ways on Saturday with a 1-0 win over Elmore 2nd’s writes Richard Honnor. It was a gripping Devon and Exeter Premier Division encounter and the Fishermen’s narrow victory keeps them in touch with the top two sides Lapford and Thorverton.

It was also sweet revenge for the Fishermen who in the preceding week had been knocked out of the East Devon Senior Cup by the Eagles. There was little to choose between the two sides who went at each other with attacking football throughout. But for some excellent defending and fine goalkeeping, the scoreline could have been far higher. In the end, the game was settled by a 2nd half goal of real quality from Beer forward Giles Basson.

Despite the tricky, blustery conditions, numerous chances were being created by both sides in a thrilling end-to-end first half. The highlights were a fine point blank save by Elliot Driver which denied Elmore the lead from a header at the far post and a couple of excellent saves from the Elmore keeper to thwart goalbound efforts from Alex Paget. Brought in to provide more strength, composure and aerial power in midfield, Paget had a splendid match.

After the break the match continued in the same attacking vein until Giles Basson broke the deadlock on 62 minutes. When Elmore failed to clear their lines following a corner, Basson, positioned wide of the far post, latched onto a cross from Paget, and with everyone expecting a square ball across the 6-yard box, the Beer forward hit an unstoppable strike from an acute angle into the net.

Elmore tried valiantly to get back in the game but the Fishermen held on to secure three well-earned points. In a sound team performance, everyone played their part, but pick of Beer’s outfield players were Paget and sweeper Jack Harwood. Man-of-the-match was awarded by sponsors Richard Honnor and Peter Adkin to Elliot Driver for a number of crucial saves.

Next week Beer 1st’s face a tough challenge at home to Lapford in the quarter final of the Devon Premier Cup. Strengthened by the return of Tony Pinder and Chris Long after injuries, the Fishermen will be hoping to overturn their narrow 2-1 league defeat against opponents who have yet to be beaten this season. Kick-off at the Furzebrake is at the earlier time of 2pm and the match sponsor is Beer Boats.

Devon and Exeter Division 2

Clyst Valley 2nd’s 2-2 Beer Albion 2nd’s

Beer Albion 2nd’s scored a last minute goal to secure a 2-2 draw away at bottom side Clyst Valley 2nd’s who were strengthened on the day by the inclusion of some of their 1st team players.

Clyst Valley led 1-0 but the Fishermen equalised through Reece Best. The home side went 2-1 in front but Ollie Paget scored a last minute equaliser from a fine Shaun Denslow free kick to rescue a point for Beer.

Manager Jamie Bond was pleased with his team’s improved showing after losing their previous two games. He added, “We were missing key players through injury and 1st team call-ups. but, even so, I felt that we would have got the win if Clyst Valley had not strengthened their line-up with first-teamers.

Defenders Fraser Beament and Jake Dack and front-man Brandon Hopkins were the pick of a good team performance.

Next Saturday Beer2nd’s face a tough Division 2 challenge away at Exeter University 4th’s.

17 views0 comments


bottom of page