top of page
  • Writer's pictureBeer

Beer Albion 1st’s 0-1 Bampton 1st’s

Devon Premier Cup Quarter Final

Beer Albion 1st’s 0-1 Bampton 1st’s

Beer Albion’s hopes of success in the Devon Premier Cup were dashed when they were knocked out at the quarter-final stage, losing 1-0 at home to Bampton in tricky, windy conditions at the Furzebrake last Saturday writes Richard Honnor.

After a disappointing first half in which they conceded a soft early goal,  the Fishermen can count themselves unlucky not to have got something out of this h

Playing into a strong headwind, Bampton adapted better early on and scored what turned out to be the winning goal with just 7 minutes gone.  Beer conceded an unnecessary foul wide on the left. The free-kick held up in the wind and as Elliot Driver tentatively went to claim the ball after it bounced, the alert Mason King nipped in to squeeze it past the Beer keeper.

The young Fishermen have yet to work out how to play down the Furzebrake slope in windy conditions but there were better signs towards the end of the first period when Taylor Rooke made a couple of good runs down the left.

Beer did almost equalise on 27 minutes when Jay Catley’s volley from was deflected away for a corner, but as the half drew to a close Driver kept the Fishermen in the contest with a fine point-blank save.

After the break and playing against the wind, Beer were a much different proposition. Substitute Giles Basson was introduced on 56 minutes and made an immediate impression. His early through ball enabled Catley to square the ball to Chris Long whose shot was saved at full stretch by Bampton keeper.

The Fishermen suffered a blow when main striker Long hobbled off on 64 minutes, but they continued to drive forward inspired by fine performances from midfielders Alex Hunt, George Harwood, and 16-year old Finley Rooke.

Beer were finally rewarded for their enterprise on 75 minutes with a penalty after Harwood was pulled back in the area but Finley Rooke put his spot-kick wide. Undaunted, Beer continued to press and the Ponies keeper was called into action, first when he palmed Finley Rooke’s 20-yard free-kick over the bar and then when he pushed Hunt’s header round the post.

The Fishermen’s injury list grew when Taylor Rooke was forced off after 81 minutes and with it went Beer’s final chance to salvage something from the game.

Bampton are a good, hard-working team but they blotted their copybook by overreacting to some determined but fair Beer challenges. These antics detracted from what was otherwise a fine match.

“Man-of-the-match” was awarded on behalf of sponsors Jean Bartlett Cottage Holidays to Bampton forward Connor Stone who was instrumental in most of the Ponies’ attacking play.

Next Saturday the Fishermen’s 1st’s are back in league action when they entertain local rivals, Lyme Regis. Kick-off at the Furzebrake is at 3pm and the match sponsorship is in Memory of Robbie Driver.

Beer 2nd’s who stay in second place in Macron Division 2 after a splendid 5-1 victory at Sandford are away at Honiton Town 2nd’s.

18 views0 comments


bottom of page