top of page
  • Mike Adkin

Match Reports

Beer Albion claimed their first Macron Devon & Exeter Premier League points of the season with a hard won 2-1 victory at local rivals Feniton, writes Mike Adkin. A Joe Adkin header put the Fishermen 1-0 up at half time, but Feniton squared things up after the break with a penalty conceded by Martin Adkin. However, late in the game Chris Long struck the winning goal for the Albion to secure a much needed victory.

Meanwhile, Beer’s second string and St Martins Reserves put on an entertaining show at The Furzebrake in the Bill Slee Cup, the Fishermen finally coming out on top 4-2 after extra time. Beer opened the scoring on 11 minutes when a quick break down the left saw Jay Catley taking the ball past the last defender and deftly lobbing the St Martins keeper to make it 1-0. Their lead was doubled in the 20th minute after a Beer corner was cleared out to Tom Neale on the right of the penalty area, who unleashed a fierce shot across the goal, the ball ending up in the net off the far post. The half continued with both sides enjoying spells of possession, but St Martins rarely threatening Stephen Jones in the Beer goal. The best chances continued to fall to the Fishermen, with Ryan King just shooting wide after a jinking run down the left, and a volley from Jamie Walker just clipping the far post. However, just before half time, the Furzebreak faithful were stunned when a rash tackle from defender Stan Bowles just outside the area resulted in a penalty to the visitors, which was duly dispatched to make it 2-1 at the break. As the second half progressed, St Martins gradually took more control of the game as the Fishermen started to defend more deeply. Nonetheless, Beer had a great chance to put the game to bed in the 53rd minute, when a cross found Jamie Walker inside the box with the goal gaping, but his under hit shot allowed gave just enough time for the visitors to clear off the goal line. St Martins continued to press, and on 60 minutes a well struck shot from their centre forward was expertly tipped over the bar by keeper Jones. As full time approached, it seemed Beer had done enough, but the first minute of stoppage time saw a ball into the Beer box evade several defenders, allowing the St Martins central midfielder to slot home and take the game into extra time. However, the Fishermen then upped their game again, and Neale bagged his second goal of the tie halfway through the first period when a well struck shot from the right of the penalty area ended up in the visitors net off the far post. The game was wrapped up early in the second period, when King slotted home at the far post, making the final score 4-2 to the homesters. Match sponsors Beer Fish and Chip Shopnamed Alex Padget man of the match for a commanding midfield performance throughout.

This coming Saturday Beer’s 1sts get their first home action of the season, entertaining Exmouth Town Reserves in the East Devon Senior Cup, kick off 2 pm, with match sponsor Woozie’s Deli of Beer. The reserves travel to Exeter for a Division 3 meeting with University 4ths.

17 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page